Yukon WorkFutures

Administrative officers

NOC 1221 / RANK 2


What They Do

Administrative officers work in businesses, agencies and governments. They have a variety of administrative, regulatory and programming roles. These workers include officers and managers of finance, human resources, purchasing, planning, immigration, court systems and other administrative services.

Main Duties

Administrative officers plan, coordinate and implement services such as work priorities, schedules and procedures.

Executive assistants carry out a variety of administrative, public relations and other activities for boards, legislators, senior government officials and executives. They may conduct research, compile data, and prepare papers for consideration and presentation by the executive, committees and boards of directors.

Human resources officers assist with hiring, staffing and training activities.

Property administrators carry out management and rental activities of investment properties on behalf of owners. They also coordinate the implementation of repairs, maintenance and renovations.

Purchasing agents and officers buy equipment, materials and business services for organizations.

Conference and event planners plan, organize and coordinate conferences, meetings, festivals and similar events.

Court officers coordinate administrative services and establish work priorities for court staff, schedule court trials, arrange pre-trial conferences and hearings, and record court commencement, trial proceedings and judgements.

Immigration, employment insurance and revenue officers administer and enforce related laws and regulations.

Managers in this group have responsibility for planning, organizing, directing and controlling the operations their organizations, whether in finances, human resources, purchasing or specific services.

Working Conditions

Most administrative and regulatory officers and managers usually work regular office hours, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday. They often work longer hours, as needed, and some may be required to travel to meet with clients or to attend meetings.

All of these officers deal largely with the public or other workers, so they must be tactful, skilled in conflict resolution, and have good communications skills. All of these workers must be well-organized, accurate in gathering and recording information, and possess strong writing and oral skills. They need computer skills and a good knowledge of the policies and procedures in the department, business or organization where they work.

How Do I Get There

Most administrative jobs require post-secondary education at the diploma or bachelor's degree level. Some require graduate degrees, specialized training or some form of licensing.

Managers in these occupations require supervisory skills and considerable experience in their fields. For some positions, formal training in administration might be required.

Some specialized business and management programs are available through Yukon College's School of Management, Tourism and Hospitality. The business administration program prepares students for supervisory or management careers in business or government, and the First Nations governance and public administration program tailors its training specifically for senior managers in First Nations government.

Yukon College acts as a satellite campus for the Master of Public Administration degree program offered by the University of Alaska Southeast. Students in this program can complete all their course work in Yukon.

Yukon College offers first- and second-year university classes and undergraduate degrees in affiliation with other educational institutions in British Columbia and Alberta.

Non-credit, part-time, professional upgrading courses are also available in Yukon, both through Yukon College and its community campuses and through some private suppliers, particularly in the field of computer technology.

Most human resources positions require a bachelor's degree in a field related to personnel management, such as business administration, industrial relations, commerce, or psychology, or a professional development program in personnel administration.

Purchasing officers, other kinds of administrative officers, executive assistants, immigration, employment insurance and revenue officers all usually need a bachelor's degree or college diploma in business administration, commerce, political science or economics, and may take specialized training courses.

Property administrators generally need post-secondary training courses or a diploma program in property management or real estate. Several years of administrative experience as a property clerk, contract clerk or administrative officer are usually required.

Conference and event planners generally have a university degree or college diploma in business, tourism or hospitality administration. Several years of experience in hospitality or tourism administration or in public relations are usually required.

Court officers and justices of the peace usually need a university degree in law, business or public administration or a college diploma in public administration or legal studies, and complete a training program specific to the job.