Yukon WorkFutures

Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers

NOC 4164 / RANK 66


What They Do

Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers conduct research, develop policy, and implement or administer programs in areas such as employment, immigration, corrections, housing, labour, and family services. They work for government departments and agencies, consulting businesses, professional associations and other non-governmental organizations.

A Day in the Life


Listen to A Day in the Life

Main Duties

Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers do a variety of tasks. In Yukon they are often required to be generalists, developing experience as they tackle new projects in teams or as individuals.

They may do some or all of the following tasks:

  • Develop recommendations for government or agency activities
  • Develop social programs, social legislation, or proposals based on demographic, social and economic analysis
  • Identify and assess economic, demographic, and social developments
  • Develop questionnaires, conduct surveys, analyze data, and compile and interpret statistics on social issues and policy areas
  • Political scientists conduct research into the theory, origin, development, interrelationships and functioning of political institutions, political movements and individual political behaviour. Psychometricians administer and interpret objective psychological tests. Sociologists study the development, structure, social patterns and interrelationships of human society.

Working Conditions

These workers perform most of their duties in offices and have regular working hours with occasional overtime. They rely extensively on computers. They may work alone or as part of a research team as they gather information, write reports, and prepare charts and notes.

Requests for data, letters, reports, meetings or presentations can come from supervisors, co-workers, business contacts from the public and private sectors, or members of the general public. Workers in this group must handle interruptions and still maintain their focus and concentration on the scheduled projects.

Travel may be necessary in order to gather information or to attend meetings, workshops or conferences.

How Do I Get There

Generally, people working in this field have at least a bachelor's degree. Many positions, especially management and academic positions, require completion of a master's or doctoral degree. Relevant fields include administration (public, business, educational or health), sociology, psychology, political science, or other liberal arts that develop analytical skills.

Yukon College has a variety of first- and second-year university-level courses that can be transferred for full credit to several Canadian and American universities.

Some specialized business and management programs are available through Yukon College's School of Management, Tourism and Hospitality. The business administration program prepares students for management careers in business or government, and the First Nations governance and public administration program tailors its training specifically for senior managers in First Nations government.

Yukon College acts as a satellite campus for the Master of Public Administration degree program offered by the University of Alaska Southeast. Students in this program can complete all their course work in the Yukon.